Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Moose on The Merritt...Really?

Yes, really! I couldn't believe my ears this morning as I was listening to the radio. There have been several moose sitings along The Merritt around the Rte. 25 interchange in Trumbull. They've also been spotted on I-84 in Waterbury and Bethel.

Moose can measure up to 6 feet high at the shoulder and if hit by a car, will be at windshield level...very dangerous. They are usually more active at dusk and dawn. They are common in Western Connecticut, but because they are hungry and it's mating season, they're expanding their territory. The word Moose comes from the Algonquian Indians, therefore, there is no plural...just a bit of trivia.

The CT D.E.P. has asked to be contacted if you see a moose along The Merritt or I-84.

Drive safely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment